- Australian government travel website: www.smartraveller.gov.au
- Malaria maps and other travel information: CDC (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention – USA)
- Apps for mobile devices: Travel Health (guide to management of illness while travelling).
- Tips on safe food and water: http://www.travelvax.com.au/resource_files/Travel-Tips—Food-and-Water.pdf
- Check whether the tap water at your destination is safe to drink: http://isthewatersafetodrink.com/
- Mosquitos: travellers are advised to cover up and use an effective repellent.
Emergency telephone services:
- Life line – 13 11 14
- Suicide line – 1300 651 251
The Better Access program provides a Medicare rebate for
To access this scheme you first need to make a GP appointment for a ‘GP Mental Health Treatment Plan’.
The following online resources provide valuable
information as well as online CBT therapy:
- Beyond Blue
- Black Dog Institute
- Headspace – National Youth Mental Health Foundation (for young adults)
- Beacon – A portal to online applications for mental and physical disorders. A panel of health experts categorise, review and rate websites and mobile applications.
Meditation resources – Apps for mobile devices:
Immunisation can protect individuals and communities against serious diseases.
There is a lot of misplaced fear regarding childhood immunisation however the science is clear – the risk associated with the vaccines are minimal relative to the risks of the actual diseases.